- Be careful in speaking about dilemma so as not to violate duties of confidentiality
- The "Rules" allow certain approaches that make it OK.
- E.g., hypotheticals, posed so as not to identify any parties
- Can ask for a formal opinion from the ethics committee
- o Slow!
- o But can almost always rely on opinion and be safe (rarely changed, but sometimes is).
- Can call an "ethics hot line" from bar or similar
- Most large firms have ethics committees, written guidance documents, etc.
- Insurance providers often provide guidance on ethics too (as part of “loss prevention”)
What do you do if you have an ethical dilemma?
What do you do if you face an ethical dilemma?